CheckmarkBelow are answers to commonly asked questions related to businesses impacted by COVID-19. 

 I am unable to pay my property taxes. What should I do?
If you are unable to pay the second installment of your annual secured property tax bill due to impacts of the COVID-19 Emergency Declaration or Shelter at Home order, fill out a waiver request form.
 I am unable to make my TOT payment. What should I do? 

The County and several cities are waiving penalties and interest and/or tax deadlines associated with Transient Occupancy Taxes (TOT) for certain reporting periods.

  • The County's Transient Occupancy Tax deadline has been extended for commercial lodging businesses and vacation rentals in the unincorporated areas of San Luis Obispo County. The months of February and March 2020 may be paid by August 31, 2020 to avoid penalty and interest.
  • City of Grover Beach is temporarily delaying late penalties until no later than August 31, 2020 for certain TOT payments.  
  • City of Paso Robles is waiving penalties and interest associated with TOT for the reporting periods of February and March 2020. 
  • City of Pismo Beach is delaying penalties and interest for late TOT revenues and Lodging Business Improvement District (LBID) assessment revenues for the February and March 2020 reporting periods until no later than August 31, 2020. 
 How will the federal CARES Act help businesses?
There are several different programs which have been designed to provide assistance to businesses. For more information about unique business aid opportunities.  Learn more here.
 What services and benefits are available to California immigrants?
The State developed a guide that provides tips about services, including public benefits, that are available to immigrant Californians, including some that are available regardless of immigration status. Check for updates.

Additionally, on April 15, 2020, Governor Newsom announced additional support for undocumented Californians impacted by COVID-19 who are ineligible for unemployment insurance benefits and disaster relief, including the CARES Act, due to their immigration status. Approximately 150,000 undocumented adult Californians will receive a one-time cash benefit of $500 per adult with a cap of $1,000 per household to deal with the specific needs arising from the COVID-19 pandemic. Individuals can apply for support beginning next month.

 I have not heard back from the SBA about my EIDL loan. What should I do?
Information about Coronavirus relief options, including EIDL loans, can be found at the Small Business Administration website. 
Are faith-based organizations eligible to receive SBA loans under the Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) and Paycheck Protection Programs (PPP)?
Yes,  the PPP and EIDL loan programs provide support for nonprofit organizations without regard to whether they are religious or secular. Visit their website for more details.  
Are sole proprietors, independent contractors, and  self-employed individuals eligible to apply for a Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) loan? 
Yes, sole proprietors, independent contractors, and self-employed persons are eligible to apply for PPP loans. The loans are fully forgiven if the funds are used for payroll costs, interest on mortgages, rent, and utilities (due to likely high subscription, at least 75% of the forgiven amount must have been used for payroll). Loan payments will also be deferred for six months. Please visit their website for more details.
Are agricultural producers, farmers, and ranchers eligible for PPP loans? 

Yes. Agricultural producers, farmers, and ranchers are eligible for PPP loans if: (i) the business has 500 or fewer employees, or (ii) the business fits within the revenue-based sized standard, which is average annual receipts of $1 million.  Additionally, agricultural producers, farmers, and ranchers can qualify for PPP loans as a small business concern if their business meets SBA’s “alternative size standard.” The “alternative size standard” is currently: (1) maximum net worth of the business is not more than $15 million, and (2) the average net income after Federal income taxes (excluding any carry-over losses) of the business for the two full fiscal years before the date of the application is not more than $5 million.

Please visit their website for more information. 

Are non-profit organizations, sole proprietors, and self-employed individuals eligible to apply for the SBA’s Economic Injury Disaster Loan program? 
Yes, the SBA’s EIDL program provides economic support to small businesses to help overcome the temporary loss of revenue as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, including sole proprietorships, independent contractors, self-employed persons, private non-profit organizations and 501(c)(19) veteran organizations. Please visit their website for more information. 
I am self-employed, am I eligible for unemployment assistance? 
As part of the federal CARES Act, the new Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) program helps unemployed Californians who are business owners, self-employed, independent contractors, have limited work history, and others not usually eligible for regular state UI benefits who are out of business or services are significantly reduced as a direct result of the pandemic.